In the year January 2020, renowned scientists disclosed the fact that a new coronavirus named SARS-Cov-2 was responsible for the outbreak of respiratory ailments in Wuhan, China. Ever since then, the covid-19 pandemic spread across the globe claiming more lives of people. Today, we will be discussing some of the known and unknown facts regarding covid-19.
Anosmia:– Loss of smell
Some of the most common symptoms of covid-19 include cough, fever, and difficulty in breathing. Nevertheless, with the outbreak of the corona virus, quite a few health care providers noticed bizarre symptoms like a reduced sense of taste, loss of smell, etc. For example, in South Korea, most of the people who were declared positive for the virus experienced a loss of smell. In Germany, approximately three cases experienced a loss of smell and taste.
SARS-Cov-2 sticks to human cells:-
The virus that was responsible for the outbreak of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome is quite similar to the one that leads to Covid-19. These two are different types of corona viruses. The researchers have succeeded in discovering the fact why the latest corona virus is complicated to eliminate. SARS-Cov-2 is twenty times more powerful that it sticks to human cells to that of the previous one.
Corona virus is harmful to babies:-
Unlike adults, children are less likely to fall sick if they are exposed to the new corona virus. Nevertheless, children less than one year are vulnerable to serious ailments to that of older kids. Health experts have discovered that a multisystem inflammatory syndrome has a direct impact on certain children. Although it is rare, it has to be taken seriously. A multisystem inflammatory syndrome (MIS) is represented by gastrointestinal symptoms as well as cardiac inflammation.
Presence of covid-19 on external surfaces:-
Covid-19 is contracted through respiratory droplets. Once an infected individual coughs or sneezes, the virus travels from one person to another at a rapid pace. Therefore, you need to maintain a social distance of at least six feet from other people. A virus might be contracted through air, congested areas, and even indoor spots with poor ventilation. Researchers have discovered the fact that the virus is active for a period of 24 hours on the cupboard, 2 to 3 days on stainless steel and plastic.
Even though scientists carry out comprehensive studies and gathered data regarding the corona virus, quite a few things are still unknown to the world. Some of them are mentioned below:
- The outbreak of covid-19 had not only affected public health but also created a recession in the global economy. This deadly virus has infected more than eight lakh people and claimed forty thousand lives of innocent people. According to a statement issued by the UN Secretary-General, the new virus is the worst ever since the Second World War.
- There are no specific treatments available for curing covid-19 to date. People diagnosed with the virus are offered essential support and guidance to help them breathe.
- Initial clinical trials of the Corona virus vaccine have been performed in the United States of America and China, however, its time of launch is not known.
- Elderly people, individuals with serious medical ailments, and people with a poor immune system are most likely to contract the corona virus.
- There is no evidence concerning the spread of the corona virus through pets like dogs and cats.
- There is no clarity whether a person gets infected with the corona virus twice. However, there are reports that Japanese women contract the virus soon after recovery.
- Even there is no clear picture about rooting out the pandemic from the world and when does life return to normalcy.
The outbreak of Covid-19 poses a detrimental effect on society. It had affected the economy overall. People should maintain social distance to avoid getting contracted with the corona virus. By doing so, we can prevent the spread of the corona virus to a certain extent.